There’s no doubt, summer is the season of fun! Whether it’s spending time in the pool or hours in the sun, our favorite summer activities can wreak havoc on your hair.
Chlorine, saltwater, UV rays, heat and even air conditioning are all factors that team up causing dryness and damage to your strands. To make matters worse, tight ponytails and buns that help us survive the summer heat can also cause breakage.
Luckily, we’ve got you covered from every angle - keeping your locks healthy without having to sacrifice your fun.
Here are 10 summer hair care tips that will keep your hair healthy and hydrated all summer long.
10 Summer Hair Care Tips To Protect Your Hair
Tip #1: Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.
Don’t let excessive heat and sun zap much-needed moisture from your strands!
Even when you visit the beach or pool to cool off, the chlorine in pool water and salt in seawater can further dry your hair out , causing it to become dry, and brittle (also known as ‘Swimmer's Hair’).
Here's how to keep your hair moisturized all summer long:
- Use quality hair care products formulated with safe ingredients to nourish and hydrate your strands. Goldie Locks ® Signature Collection is specifically formulated to hydrate, protect , and strengthen your hair.
- Shield your strands from the sun with scarves or hats (wide-brim is best). This will protect you from harmful UV rays as well as help protect your hair color.
Replace cotton pillowcases with silk or satin ones .
This will help your hair retain moisture from both hair products and natural oils. It also reduces friction that can cause tangles and breakage.
- Saturate your hair with a Leave-In Conditioner before going for a swim to coat your hair with an extra barrier against chlorine and saltwater.
- Wear silicone swim caps while swimming - while it won’t keep your hair perfectly dry, it will safeguard your hair from excessive chlorine exposure.
- Hydrating shampoo + conditioner is a must! Make sure to shampoo and condition your hair immediately after you swim.
- Protect the ends of your hair by tucking them into buns, french braids, and other protective styles.
Tip #2: Seal In Moisture
Environmental factors like wind, friction, and UV rays can dry your hair out in just hours if there's no "seal" over your hair. So, it's not enough to just moisturize your hair. You should also use hair sealants to keep moisture locked into your hair.
Hair oils and hair serums work as sealants to shield and seal strands.
Hair sealants work by creating a protective layer over your strands to prevent them from drying out. While keeping the moisture in your hair, they also nourish and condition your strands, keeping them soft and manageable.
Tip #3: Install Loose And Comfortable Protective Styles
Another way to retain moisture in your hair is using protective styling . Some great protective styles include:
- Braid crown
- Low ponytail
- Double French braids
- Low bun
But when you install these styles, go easy on your scalp . Tight styles can make your scalp tense and tender, especially around your hairline, so that your strands become weak and vulnerable .
When this happens, they may begin to pull out from the root in what is known as traction alopecia. You can also experience breakage along the hair shaft because of the tension on the length of the strand.
Tip #4: Drop The Heat
Between the summer sun and heat, using heat-styling tools this season might not be a good option .
On most days, resort to air-drying . It's safer and will give your hair a break from the potentially damaging heat of blow dryers and styling tools.
Tip #5: Keep Your Conditioners Close
Every hair care article on the web says to condition your hair for proper hair care, but why?
It's because conditioners are the chief source of topical nourishment for your hair. There are three types of conditioners, and they all have specific purposes for your hair:
Rinse- out (regular) conditioners - Ultra Hydrating Signature Conditioner
Rinse-out conditioners are used immediately after shampooing and are left for 3-5 minutes (or more) to help detangle and restore lost moisture.
Deep conditioners + hair masks
Deep conditioners and hair masks are the queens of moisture . Where rinse-out conditioners may have a runny texture, deep conditioners and hair masks have a thicker consistency . They're expected to sit in your hair for 10+ minutes to deeply nourish damaged, thirsty hair.
These are the no-rinse conditioners with many long lasting benefits . After applying a leave-in conditioner , always follow up with sealants ( hair serum ) to keep the moisture locked into your strands .
Tip #6: Use Quality Summer Hair Care Products
With Goldie Locks ® hair care, you can find products formulated to nourish, hydrate , and stimulate hair growth - keeping your locks hydrated and healthy all summer long.
- Start with our shampoo to deeply hydrate and cleanse your hair and scalp without stripping off moisture and natural oils.
- Then, follow up with our conditioner to nourish your strands , deeply penetrate hair to restore hydration - all while protecting from environmental aggressors like harsh UV rays.
- The next step is to deep condition your hair with our hair mask . Instantly nourish, restore, and repair dry, damaged hair . Effortlessly deep-condition every strand with intense hydration and incredible shine .
- After, mist your locks with our leave-in conditioner . This moisturizing multitasker protects strands and gives hair a boost of hydration. Effortlessly detangle hair, strengthen strands, fight frizz , and enhance shine - all while protecting your hair from harsh aging elements like the sun, heat, and pollution.
- Seal in all that moisture and nutrient goodness with our hair serum to block off harsh UV rays and keep your hair healthy and shiny all summer . Restore soft lustrous locks that are frizz-free and humid resistant, while helping to protect your hair from future breakage and uv damage.
Give $10, Get $10
Share Goldie Locks® with a friend
and earn a $10 credit.
Tip #7: Say Goodbye To Green Hair
Does your hair turn green after a dip in a chlorinated pool? Here's why.
Chlorine oxidizes copper and other metals in pool water , producing a chemical that binds to your hair proteins to give a greenish tint.
Goldie Locks® Clarifying Detox Shampoo is a perfect product for swimmers as you may need to clarify more often to deep clean hair and remove chlorine, iron and minerals that can give hair a greenish tint. It also washes away dulling buildup, strengthens strands and minimizes future buildup.
By using a clarifying shampoo during the summer months, you can effectively detoxify your hair, restoring its natural balance and promoting a healthier scalp. Not only does it remove the build-up of chlorine, saltwater, and sweat, but it also helps to combat the adverse effects of sun exposure. By thoroughly cleansing your hair and scalp, clarifying shampoo prepares a clean canvas for other hair care products to work more effectively, ensuring maximum benefits.
Tip #8: SOS — Slather On Sunscreen
Did you know? If ingredients in traditional sunscreens come in contact with your hair, a chemical reaction can occur and discolor your hair.
Lighter colored hair and extension wearers are particularly susceptible to discoloration .
Similar to how SPF and other beauty products have been known to stain clothes, your sunscreen may have the potential to also discolor your hair.
Our Sheer Mineral Sunscreen is the most effective and easiest way to avoid your hair being tinted, stained , or discolored by sunscreen. Specifically formulated to give you all the benefits of traditional sunscreen while protecting your hair from discoloration.
- Protects hair + extensions from discoloration
- Broad spectrum SPF 30
- Dermatologist recommended
- Water + sweat resistant
- Travel friendly; TSA compliant
Tip #9: Try A Hot Oil Treatment
Hair oils like coconut, jojoba, olive, and avocado oils are excellent sources of nourishment for your hair. Our Signature Serum is packed with nourishing hair oils and is perfect for a hot oil treatment.
Pour 2 tablespoons signature serum into a bowl and place in warm water for 3-5 minutes. Work the serum into your hair from roots to ends and let sit for 5 minutes. Shampoo your hair after. The warm oil will help open up your pores and cuticles for deeper hydration and nourishment.
Tip #10: Stay Hydrated
In summer, you sweat more and get dehydrated faster. Dehydration leads to weak, unhealthy hair and stunted hair growth . Why? Water helps transport nutrients around your body, especially those responsible for hair health .
Without water, your body will be unable to effectively transport nutrients to your hair and the rest of your body. This season, drink LOTS of water, at least 8 8-ounces of water a day , to strengthen, moisturize, and grow your hair long and healthy from within.
Protecting your hair this summer shouldn’t require you to sacrifice having fun. With our high quality, ultra hydrating hair care products , you can keep your hair healthy and hydrated all summer long. Recap: