If you want healthy, vibrant hair, you probably have a long list of things you do to take care of it.
But even if you're religious about using heat protectant, staying hydrated, and washing your hair on a regular basis, there's one type of product that you might be overlooking: clarifying shampoo.
- What does clarifying shampoo do?
- Clarifying shampoo benefits
- How to use clarifying shampoo
- How often should you use a clarifying shampoo?
- Does clarifying shampoo remove color?
- Can I use clarifying shampoo on my extensions?
- What is a good clarifying shampoo?
What does clarifying shampoo do?
Clarifying shampoo is a type of deep cleansing shampoo that is designed to remove excess oil, dirt, and product buildup from the hair and scalp.
It can help to improve the health and appearance of the hair and scalp, and is particularly useful for people with oily hair or those who use a lot of hair styling products.
Clarifying shampoo benefits
Using a clarifying shampoo can have a number of benefits for your hair and scalp. Here are a few of the top ones:
- Removes excess oil and dirt: If you have oily hair, you may feel like you need to wash it every day to keep it looking fresh. But washing your hair too frequently can strip it of its natural oils, which can lead to dryness and damage. Clarifying shampoo can help remove excess oil and dirt from your scalp and hair, so you don't have to wash it as often.
- Removes product buildup: If you use a lot of hair products, you may notice that your hair starts to feel weighed down or sticky after a while. This is because the products can build up on your hair and scalp, which can make it difficult for your hair to look and feel its best. Clarifying shampoo can help remove this buildup, leaving your hair feeling clean and fresh.
- Improves the health of your scalp: A healthy scalp is the foundation of healthy hair. If your scalp is clogged with dirt and oil, it can be difficult for your hair to grow and thrive. Clarifying shampoo can help remove these impurities, leaving your scalp clean and healthy.
How to use clarifying shampoo
Using a clarifying shampoo is a bit different from using a regular shampoo, so it's important to follow the instructions carefully. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Less is more: The first step in using a clarifying shampoo is to figure out how often you should use it. If you have oily hair and wash it every other day, you can probably use a clarifying shampoo every other week. If you have dry hair or a less oily scalp and only wash your hair once or twice a week, you should use a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month.
- Apply to the scalp and massage in with fingers: When you're ready to use the clarifying shampoo, apply it to your scalp and massage it in with your fingers. Be sure to focus on areas where you tend to get product build-up.
- Rinse well: After you've massaged the clarifying shampoo into your scalp, rinse it out thoroughly. It's important to remove all of the shampoo from your hair and scalp, as any remaining product can lead to further buildup.
- Follow up with a conditioner: Clarifying shampoos can be drying, so it's a good idea to follow up with a conditioner to help nourish and moisturize your hair.
- Use a hair serum after you shampoo and condition your hair: If you have dry hair, it's a good idea to apply a hair serum after your hair is dry and/or styled. Distribute the serum from mid strands through the ends. This will help your strands get a healthy dose of moisture and hydration.
How often should you use a clarifying shampoo?
It's important to use clarifying shampoo in moderation, as it can strip the hair of its natural oils and lead to dryness and damage. In general, you should only use a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month, depending on your hair type and how often you wash your hair. If you have dry hair, you may use it even less frequently.
If you're not sure how often you should be using a clarifying shampoo, talk to your stylist or a hair care professional. They can help you determine the best frequency for your specific needs.
How do you know when your hair needs clarifying?
There are a few signs that your hair may be in need of a clarifying treatment:
- Your hair looks and feels greasy, even after you wash it
- Your hair feels heavy or sticky
- Your hair is difficult to style or hold a style
- Your scalp is itchy or flaky
- Your hair looks dull or lifeless
If you're experiencing any of these issues, it may be time to use a clarifying shampoo.
Does clarifying shampoo remove color?
One concern that some people have about clarifying shampoo is that it will strip their hair of its color. While it is true that some clarifying shampoos can be drying and may remove some of the natural oils from your hair, it should not strip your hair of its color.
Can I use clarifying shampoo on my extensions?
Hair extensions have a different structure and porosity than natural hair, so they will require a different approach to care. In general, it is best to look at clarifying shampoo as an alternate solution and to use it sparingly, otherwise, over-use of clarifying shampoo can dehydrate your extensions faster leading to damage when compared to your natural hair.
If you’re wearing hair extensions then be sure to reach for a protein-free clarifying shampoo, which is less likely to cause damage or dryness to hair extensions.
It's also important to note that when using a clarifying shampoo on extensions, it's best to use it sparingly and to focus on the scalp, to avoid over-stripping the extensions of their oils and moisture.
What is a good clarifying shampoo?
There are a lot of clarifying shampoos on the market, so it can be tough to know which one to choose. Here are a few things to consider when selecting a clarifying shampoo:
- Ingredients: Look for a clarifying shampoo that is free of sulfates, as these ingredients can be harsh and stripping. Instead, opt for a formula that contains natural ingredients and is protein-free, which will keep hair hydrated while removing buildup without damaging the hair.
- Hair type: Make sure to choose a clarifying shampoo that is appropriate for your hair type. If you have dry or damaged hair, look for a formula that is moisturizing and nourishing. If you have oily hair, opt for a formula that is designed to remove excess oil.
In conclusion, clarifying shampoo is extremely useful when you need to remove excess oil, dirt, and product buildup from your hair and scalp. Remember to use it in moderation and to choose a formula that is safe and effective for your hair type.
With the right approach, clarifying shampoo can be an excellent addition to your hair care routine and help keep your hair looking and feeling its best.